The Judge RANTS!
- To the over-54s who voted in such numbers for 'Leave' that they more than cancelled out the 70 per cent plus of the under-35s who wanted to stay in, and thus - as they have done with their voting patterns in general election after general election over the last thirty-five years and in Scotland's referendum - have shat on their children's and grandchildren's future: I hope that when the time comes for you to be cared for in your dotage that they will be too busy trying to work three minimum-wage jobs with no employment protections to be able to do it, and will instead dump you in a 'care facility' owned by a US corporation who will never lose the contract however badly they perform because a TTIP imposed with vigour by a corporate-controlled US government who know an easy mark when they see it will render the taking of such services back into public control impossible,
- To the racists and xenophobes whom those in positions of political and media power know can be so readily encouraged to give full rein to their violent hatred: I hope that, when it becomes apparent even to you that your society's problems are not caused by 'nasty foreigners' and 'effnics', you will turn on each other like the rabid rats that you are and devour one another,
- To that curious modern demographic, the 'white working class', who voted 'Leave' because they are tired of being governed by a 'remote and arrogant political class': I hope that I stay alive long enough to see the look of awful realisation on your faces when it hits home to you that a political class may be no less remote for being geographically slightly nearer to you, and that it is those who are supposedly 'your' people who are responsible for the shit you find yourselves having thrown at you; that you will find that rah-rah doesn't keep a roof over your family's heads and that red-white-and-blue bunting doesn't make for a nourishing meal for your kids, even with added mushy peas and a pickled gherkin; and that - until you overcome that underlying servility which means that waving a Union Jack in your faces reduces you to the state of awareness of a hypnotised chicken, and until you stop taking as gospel the screaming and yapping of the jackals of a largely foreign-owned and tax-dodging press - your own land's ruling class will continue to shaft you with impunity because they know that you are sufficiently dense to enable them to,
- To those who claim to be on 'the left' who voted to leave because "it's the bosses' EU!": I hope that you will spend the next decade in sackcloth and ashes on the doorsteps of every foodbank in the UK, doing penance for letting your puerile, lower-sixth-form, twattoid 'ideological purity' blind you to the reality that, even if the EU is currently in a state of corporate capture, the so-called UK is even more so, and that without any ameliorating influence from the rest of the continent, it will become more so still, with all that will mean for the proletariat for whom you have, of course, the love of a father for a child (so long as your surname is Fritzl, natch),
- To the empire nostalgiacs, still grieving to their very souls that they lost Indiah, and who think that the rest of Europe - indeed, the rest of the world (especially the bits formerly coloured imperial pink) - will fall apart without Greater England's civilising influence: I hope that you will finally die off before very long, as I see no hope for people who still seemingly think that World War II was won by dear Dickie Attenborough and darling Johnny Mills; but I hope that you won't go before the terrible truth is borne in on you, namely, viz., and to whit, that your beloved country doesn't matter an amphibian's fart to the rest of the world, that the big players in the world today regard you of little consequence and even less concern, and that any deal you may try to make with them - on trade or anything else - will be struck almost entirely on their terms,
- And - speaking of Greater England - to the inhabitants of Wales: I hope that you will now give up the pathetic pretence of being a proper nation. As previously shown in the last European elections (and the word 'last' here is valid in both its senses - our own national language distinguishes between "diwethaf", meaning 'last' = 'most recent' and "olaf", meaning 'last' = 'final'), in last year's vote for the imperial parliament and in this year's tally for our pathetic Assembly - you now inhabit nothing more than a western fringe area of your neighbour. The physical conquest and occupation of your land which took place a long time ago has now been joined with no remaining doubt by the thoroughgoing colonisation of your minds; hence the fact that the 'Leave' vote there was scarcely lower than it was in England. So, you've got your own football and rugby teams? So fucking what; so has Gloucester. Fold up that flag, shove your Bread Of Heaven where the sun doesn't shine and stop kidding yourselves any more.
To all of the above categories taken together, my message to you - delivered con amore e gusto (sorry, that's foreign; we can't have that any more, can we?) is one which is straightforward and unambiguous enough that even you may comprehend it:
Fuck your narrowness, your insularity, your selfishness, your arrogance, your stupidity and your gullibility!
I have three more messages to give:
- To the people of Scotland: for the sake of your own future, your own society's future, your own children's and grandchildren's future, and for the sake of showing a positive example to the others on this island, get out of this cess-pit of a polity as soon as you possibly can and rejoin the continent and the world. There is nothing of any value left to keep you here now, not even sentiment,
- To the people of Northern Ireland: see past your troubled past, past the post-mediaeval bigotry and arrogance, and seek a rapprochement and a modus vivendi (sorry, foreign jabber again) with your kinfolk to the south and west of you. For all the problems they face, they are at least facing front and can see where they are going,
- And, finally, to our neighbours in the rest of Europe: I'm sorry. I really, truly thought that we were better than this. You did your best to work with us, to accomodate our genuine concerns whilst humouring at least some of our idées fixes (I'm quite wilful about this now, aren't I?). And your reward, especially over the last twenty-five to thirty years, has been to be patronised, insulted and abused by people and organisations who had only their own advantage and advancement at heart. (*)
Move on. You will be better off without such a constantly whining, whingeing, obnoxious presence in your organisation. Rediscover the social-democratic heart of the European Ideal and go forward together. Perhaps in due course that might be enough to cause the blinkers to fall from enough eyes in this wretched land that we might ask to come back. In which case, I hope that you would be welcoming to us, if only to take pity on those of us who now find ourselves with statistical proof that we are stuck on a small island with seventeen million village idiots.
(* - And I'm sorry that we have now emboldened every extreme rightist and neo-Nazi in Europe. If they can get what they want even when they gun down an opposing MP - and this in peaceful, restrained Old Blighty - then anything is possible)