The Judge RANTS!
You know how sensitive I am to these things, but there was something decidedly off about this headline on the BBC News website today. For those who don't have over-precise antennae, I have highlighted the troubling part:
Why was it deemed necessary (or indeed remotely relevant) to state that Mrs Downer - who had lived in Rowley Regis for sixty years or more - was "...originally from Jamaica"?
I can think of two possible explanations:
- That - in an desire to reassure us that the Brutish Broadcorping Castration is conscious that Black Lives Matter - they felt that it was important not to deprive this poor old lady of her ethno-cultural identity even in the most hideous circumstances of her death, or
- That it was necessary for current ideological purposes to hint that Mrs Downer was a darkie who had taken up space in the Glorious Heart Of Glorious Empire which should have been reserved for a Glorious blue-rinsed, pursed-lipped harridan permanently wearing a Glorious rain-hood and with Glorious political views slightly to the right of the entire membership of National Action combined.
Bearing in mind that:
- Tim Davie, the current Director General of the BBC, was appointed by the Johnson régime
- He is a former Conservative Party official and electoral candidate
- He has already axed a popular comedy programme for lampooning the government which appointed him, and has vowed to rid the airwaves of any comedy show which doesn't follow his notion of 'balance' (and we can guess the detailed content of said notion)
- The government which appointed him has just published a 'report' which stated unambigiously that there was no - repeat, no - evidence of institutional racism in Greater Gammonia, oh dearie me no, and that those who claimed that there was were either deluding themselves or had ideologically extreme positions by insisting on such flag-besmirching irrelevancies as 'evidence' and 'experience'
- That, despite reaction to the 'report' from people who know what they are talking about covering the entire spectrum of opinion from the 'baffled' via the 'scathing' to the 'outraged', the 'report' will be used ad infinitum adque nauseam to 'prove' that all is for the best in this best of all possible Ukanian worlds
- Priti Patel - the latest in a long line of Home Secretaries of both main parties to have gained the position by poisonous and hateful rhetoric and then augmented this once in office with poisonous and hateful actions - has produced legislation aimed - by her own admission/boast - to destroy the right to peaceful protest altogether simply to get at the BLM movement
- Most people - as I have remarked before - never read beyond the headline or lede.
...then why do I incline strongly to the latter explanation?
Update (04/04/21): Almost as if to prove my point, they're still fucking doing it: